1. Malone DJ. Bed rest, deconditioning, and hospital-acquired neuromuscular disorders. In: Malone DJ, Lindsay KLB, eds. Physical Therapy in Acute Care: A Clinician's Guide. Thorofare, NJ: Slack, Inc.; 2006:93-110. ISBN: 9781556425349.
2. Schweickert WD, Hall J. ICU-acquired weakness. Chest. 2007;131:1541-1549. [go to PubMed]
3. Gosselink R, Bott J, Johnson M, et al. Physiotherapy for adult patients with critical illness: recommendations of the European Respiratory Society and European Society of Intensive Care Medicine Task Force on Physiotherapy for Critically Ill Patients. Intensive Care Med. 2008;34:1188-1199. [go to PubMed]
4. Malone DJ, Adler J. Acute care physical therapy examination and discharge planning. In: Malone DJ, Lindsay KLB, eds. Physical Therapy in Acute Care: A Clinician's Guide. Thorofare, NJ: Slack, Inc.; 2006:1-30. ISBN: 9781556425349.
5. Masley PM, Havrilko CL, Mahnensmith MR, Aubert M, Jette DU. Physical therapist practice in the acute care setting: a qualitative study. Phys Ther. 2011;91:906-919. [go to PubMed]
6. Smith BA, Fields CJ, Fernandez N. Physical therapists make accurate and appropriate discharge recommendations for patients who are acutely ill. Phys Ther. 2010;90:693-703. [go to PubMed]
7. Cox CE, Docherty SL, Brandon DH, et al. Surviving critical illness: acute respiratory distress syndrome as experienced by patients and their caregivers. Crit Care Med. 2009;37:2702-2708. [go to PubMed]
8. Chiang LL, Wang LY, Wu CP, Wu HD, Wu YT. Effects of physical training on functional status in patients with prolonged mechanical ventilation. Phys Ther. 2006;86:1271-1281. [go to PubMed]
9. Hodgin KE, Nordon-Craft A, McFann KK, Mealer ML, Moss M. Physical therapy utilization in intensive care units: results from a national survey. Crit Care Med. 2009;37:561-566. [go to PubMed]
10. Morris PE, Goad A, Thompson C, et al. Early intensive care unit mobility in the treatment of acute respiratory failure. Crit Care Med. 2008;36:2238-2243. [go to PubMed]
11. Needham DM. Mobilizing patients in the intensive care unit: improving neuromuscular weakness and physical function. JAMA. 2008;300:1685-1690. [go to PubMed]
12. Bailey P, Thomsen GE, Spuhler VJ, et al. Early activity is feasible and safe in respiratory failure patients. Crit Care Med. 2007;35:139-145. [go to PubMed]
13. Schweickert WD, Pohlman MC, Pohlman AS, et al. Early physical and occupational therapy in mechanically ventilated, critically ill patients: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2009;373:1874-1882. [go to PubMed]
14. Dean E. Mobilizing patients in the ICU: evidence and principles of practice. Acute Care Perspect. 2008;17:1-9.
15. Perme C, Chandrashekar RK. Managing the patient on mechanical ventilation in ICU: early mobility and walking program. Acute Care Perspect. 2008;17:10-15.
16. Zanni JM, Needham DM. Promoting early mobility and rehabilitation in the intensive care unit. PT in Motion. 2010;2:32-38.
17. Burtin C, Clerckx B, Robbeets C, et al. Early exercise in critically ill patients enhances short-term functional recovery. Crit Care Med. 2009;37:2499-2505. [go to PubMed]
18. Trees D, Coale N. Use of a dynamic tilt table for perambulation strength training of severely deconditioned patients. Acute Care Perspect. 2007;16:6-9.
19. Perme C, Chandrashekar R. Early mobility and walking program for patients in intensive care units: creating a standard of care. Am J Crit Care. 2009;18:212-221. [go to PubMed]
20. Thomsen GE, Snow GL, Rodriguez L, Hopkins RO. Patients with respiratory failure increase ambulation after transfer to an intensive care unit where early activity is a priority. Crit Care Med. 2008;36:1119-1124. [go to PubMed]
21. Needham DM, Korupolu R, Zanni JM, et al. Early physical medicine and rehabilitation for patients with acute respiratory failure: a quality improvement project. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2010;91:536-542. [go to PubMed]